Mike was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1950. He grew up in the Milwaukee suburb of Greenfield where he attended high school and participated in swimming, golf, and drama. After high school, Mike attended the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse where he continued to swim and where he met his wife Linda.
Upon graduating from UW-La Crosse, he accepted a position as a physical education teacher at Rosemount Middle School; he also served as head swimming coach for Rosemount High School. He served in both of these roles until 1978 when he left coaching and pursued a law degree from William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul. Mike graduated from law school, cum laude, in 1982.
Mike currently practices in the areas of family law, criminal law, and personal injury. He also serves as a mediator, parenting time expeditor, parenting consultant and Early Neutral Evaluator in the family law area.
When he is not at work, Mike enjoys golfing and traveling with his wife of 42 years, Linda. They have a daughter, son-in-law, and two grandsons. Mike is very active in the International Association of Lions Clubs, serving as club president, District Governor for the Lions Clubs in Ramsey, Dakota and Washington Counties in 2010-2011 and as Counsel Chairperson for the Lions Clubs in Minnesota, Manitoba and Northwest Ontario in 2011-2012.
Visit our Personal Injury blog at www.applevalleymnpersonalinjuryblog.com.
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Minnesota, M.Ed.
- University of Wisconsin at La Crosse, B.A., with honors
- State v. Powell, 357 N.W.2d 146 (Minn. Ct. App. 1984)
- Wood v. Schlagel, 375 N.W.2d 561 (Minn. Ct. App. 1985)
- Kelm v. Kelm, 1988 Minn. App. LEXIS 145 (Minn. Ct. App. 1988)
- McDonnell v. Comm. of Public Safety, 460 N.W.2d 363 (Minn. Ct. App. 1990)
- Radke v. Radke, 1990 Minn. Ct. App. LEXIS 540 (Minn. App. 1990)
- Knutson v. City of Coates, 519 N.W.2d 166 (Minn. Supp. Ct. 1994)
- V.G. v. Bates, 1997 Minn. App. LEXIS 430 (Minn. App. 1997)
- Lisser v. Lisser, 2006 Minn. App. Unpub. LEXIS 1389 (Minn. App. 2006)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota Association for Justice, Member, 1983 - Present
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Past Governor, 2003 - 2009
- Dakota County Bar Association, Member
- First Judicial District Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Legal Aid of Dakota County, 1983 - Present
- Legal Advisor to the Minnesota Lions Vision (2006 - Present) and Hearing Foundations (2011 - Present)
- Legal Advisor to Lions Multiple District 5M, 2012 - Present
- Rosemount Lions Club
- Minnesota Lions Vision Foundation, Past Chairman of and current Legal Advisor to the Board of Directors. The Minnesota Lions Eye Bank, encourages cornea donations following death and processes the donated corneas to exacting federal standards. The corneas are used to return the gift of sight to individuals in need of corneal transplants
- Apple Valley Chamber of Commerce, Three-year Member of Board of Directors
- Hastings Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Airplane Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), Member