“However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.” ~ Winston Churchill
Areas Of Practice
- Litigation 60%
- General Municipal 20%
- Estate Planning 10%
- Business Succession Planning 10%
Honors and Awards
- Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer
- Super Lawyers, Real Estate and Civil Litigation
- Minnesota, 1992
- Wisconsin, 1993
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- Hamline University School of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1992
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Awards: Evidence; Sales and Secured Transactions
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- B.A. - 1987
- Major: Political Science
Mr. Bauer is a shareholder with the firm, and he represents clients in general municipal, land use and real estate matters including zoning and comprehensive guide plan amendment applications, litigation of condemnation actions and special assessment appeals; general civil litigation; shareholder dispute litigation; wills, trusts and business succession planning.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Real Property Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2002
- Qualified Neutral Under Minn. Gen. R. Prac. 114, ADR Program, 2009
- Author, Minnesota Litigation Checklists §§ 1-1 et seq., (Matthew Bender & Company, Inc.) (Available in print and through Lexis.com), 2007
- George O. Ensminger et al. v. Timberland Mortgage Services, Inc. et al. (affirming summary judgment of dismissal in favor of client, a residential mortgage lender), A09-1213, 2010, Minn. App.
- Eagan Econ. Dev. Auth. v. U-Haul Co., 765 N.W.2d 403, 2009, Minn. App.
- Equity Trust Co. v. Cole, 766 N.W.2d 334, 2009, Minn. App.
- Costa v. Carambola Partners, LLC, 590 F. Supp. 2d 1141, 2008, D. Minn. 2008
- D&D Mechanized Trucking, Inc. v. Rihm Motor Co. (involving contract claims), 2007 AP001697FT (unpublished opinion), 2008, Wis. App. Ct.
- Schmitz v. City of Farmington (involving tort claims and inverse condemnation), 2007 Minn. App. Unpub. LEXIS 753 , 2007, Minn. App.
- Jones v. Rees-Max, LLC (involving equity stripping), 514 F. Supp.2d 1139, 2007, D. Minn.
- Instant Testing Company, et al. v. Community Security Bank, et al. (involving relocation benefits), 715 N.W.2d 124, 2006, Minn. App.
- Bradley Bengston and Brenda Bengston v. Nick J. Dzandzara, et al (addressing equity stripping/fraud), LEXIS 226 (Minn. App. Unpub. 2006), 2006, Minn. App.
- Concept Properties, LLP v. City of Minnetrista (involving land use), 694 N.W.2d 804, 2005, Minn. App.
- Pomrenke v. Department of Commerce (involving mortgage origination licensing), 677 N.W.2d 85, 2004, Minn. App.
- Watson's Props. LLC v. Menard, Inc. (involving Rule 12 of the Minnesota Rules of Civil Procedure), 2002 Minn. App. LEXIS 756, 2002, Minn. App.
- Whitehouse v. Dachtera (addressing sales representative/arbitration requirement), 609 N.W.2d 248, 2000, Minn. App.
- Majestic Inc. v. Berry (involving the enforcement of a confession of judgment), 593 N.W.2d 251, 1999, Minn. App.
- Kassan Realty Co. v. Metzen Realty, Inc. (involving contract interpretation and rescission), 1999 WL 1102299, 1999, Minn. App.
- City of Eagan v. Olson (involving condemnation), 1998 WL 690860, 1998, Minn. App.
- Zehrer v. Helland (involving real estate/fraud), 1998 WL 346651, 1998, Minn. App.
- City of Eagan v. Finch (involving condemnation), 1998 WL 252322, 1998, Minn. App.
- Seminar: Title Law in Minnesota, 2008 to 2008
- Seminar: A Step-by-Step Guide to Understanding Easements, 2008 to 2008
- Seminar: Road and Access Law: Successfully Handling Disputes, 2007 to 2007
- Seminar: Road and Access Law: Successfully Handling Disputes, 2006 to 2006
- Seminar: Managing Ethical Issues in Your Day-to-Day Practice in Minnesota, 2005 to 2005
- Seminar: Ethical Considerations in Eminent Domain Cases, 2005 to 2005
- Seminar: Commercial Real Estate Transactions and Title Issues in Minnesota: Building a Solid Foundation for Success, 2004 to 2004
- Seminar: Specialty Ethics in Minnesota: Professionalism, Substance Abuse and Elimination of Bias, 2004 to 2004
- Seminar: Getting Successful Results in Minnesota Eminent Domain Actions, 2003 to 2003
- Seminar: Major Land Use Laws in Minnesota, 2003 to 2003
- Seminar: Damages in Minnesota Civil Trial Practice, 2002 to 2002
- Guest Speaker: Minnesota Parks and Recreation Association (Topic: Employee Liability/Data Practices), 1998 to 1998
- Guest Speaker: Minnesota Water Workers Convention (Topic: Public Employee Liability), 1997 to 1997
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association , Member, Real Property Law Section
- Dakota County Bar Association, Member
- First Judicial District Bar Association, Member
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member
- Appraisal Institute, Member
- Lawyers Professional Responsibility Board, Member
- First Judicial District Ethics Committee, Investigator, 2004 to 2007
- Eagan Chamber of Commerce
- Apple Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Northern Dakota County Chamber of Commerce