1. Home
  2.  ► 
  3. Practices & Industries
  4.  ► 
  5. Real Estate Law
  6.  ► Tenant’s Remedies

Tenant’s Remedies

Landlord and Tenant law in Minnesota is governed by Minn. Stat. § 504B.001 through Minn. Stat. § 504B.471.  These laws cover a variety of claims that a tenant may have against a landlord in housing court in Minnesota. The laws also establish basic rules that govern the landlord-tenant relationship.  For example, where a written lease exists, a landlord must give the tenant a copy.  If a tenant pays rent in cash, the landlord must provide a receipt.  These rules and many like them provide protections to tenants who rent property in Minnesota.

Rent Escrow Actions

Chapter 504B also outlines the circumstances in which a tenant may withhold rent if a landlord is not following the lease or the law relating to building upkeep or maintenance.  However, withholding rent is a remedy that is only permitted under specific circumstances.  To learn more about this remedy, please contact one of our attorneys.

Tenant Evictions or Actions in “Unlawful Detainer”

When a tenant breaches a lease by failing to pay rent or by violating other parts of the lease, a landlord may evict the tenant through an “unlawful detainer” action.  Also known as “eviction actions,” these cases are scheduled on very short notice, so prompt action is required.  If you have been served with a Complaint in Unlawful Detainer or a similar notice and you believe you have been justified in withholding rent or have not violated your lease, our attorneys can evaluate your case and provide straightforward advice about your situation.  When appropriate, our attorneys represent tenants in eviction hearings and trials.

Learn More

Our attorneys routinely appear in housing courts on behalf of tenants in Minnesota’s courts.  Our attorneys have the experience and legal knowledge to advise tenants in both residential and commercial cases.  To learn more about the legal representation and guidance we provide to tenants, please call us at 952-432-3136 or, if you prefer, contact us via e-mail.